Spring is nice for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can open windows for outdoor air and your power bill is normally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air conditioner.
But as mercury begins to increase, so do your energy charges. Here are some ideas for saving energy in Richmond and keeping bills lower.
1. Call for Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system a yearly maintenance visit can help it work more efficiently and reduce costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep energy bills down.
If your air conditioning equipment has had better days, spring is an excellent time to replace it. The energy-saving features in newer AC systems is a big plus in keeping your utility bill down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on heating and cooling bills. Just turn your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Understanding how to expertly work your thermostat is the best way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Consider it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the lower your home comfort cost will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a lot higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty home.
3. Take Advantage of Other Approaches to Cool Your Home
You can take advantage of a few other methods to help keep your residence cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By running a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no loss in comfort. Have your fan move counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This moves cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds drawn—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house cooler by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not sitting in sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and immediately realize you neglected to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the whole day!
Smart thermostats figure out your habits and change the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also set the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These expert suggestions will all help keep summer energy costs down. If you figure out it’s time to upgrade your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 804-548-4480 or contact us online. We’ll help you choose the right solution for your space. And like always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.