Spring is enjoyable for many reasons: flowers bloom, you can crack windows for outdoor air and your power bill is normally at its lowest. That’s because you’re not using your heater or air.
But as temps begin to increase, so do your energy costs. Here are some ideas for saving energy in Richmond and keeping costs lower.
1. Call for Annual AC Maintenance
Giving your cooling system an annual tune-up can help it work more efficiently and lower costs. Changing out your air filter will help keep utility bills down.
If your air conditioning equipment has had better days, spring is a good time to replace it. The energy-saving features in newer air conditioning systems is a big benefit for keeping your utility bill down.
2. Start with Your Thermostat
There’s an easy way you can save up to 10% on home comfort bills. Just dial your thermostat back 7–10 degrees for 8 hours a day.
Understanding how to expertly work your thermostat is the smartest way to cut down on energy bills in the summer.
- Set your thermostat as high as comfortably possible when you’re around at home. Think of it this way, the lower the difference between outside temperatures and inside temperatures, the lower your home comfort expense will be.
- When you’re not at home, set the thermostat to a significantly higher temperature or switch it off. There’s no reason to cool an empty house.
3. Take Advantage of Other Methods to Cool Your House
You can try a few other methods to help keep your residence cool:
- Use a ceiling fan—By starting a ceiling fan, you can raise your thermostat setting an average of 4 degrees with no reduction in comfort. Have your fan turn counterclockwise in the summer, which pushes cool air upward. This moves cool air more evenly when you’re in the room.
- Keep blinds closed—Sunlight quickly changes into heat as it moves through windows. Keep your house more comfortable by shutting blinds and curtains when you’re not using sunny rooms.
4. Look Into Buying a Smart Thermostat
You’re out and about and immediately realize you forgot to turn up the thermostat. Then you fret about it the entire day!
Smart thermostats figure out your habits and change the temp when you’re out to help you save energy and money. You can also change the thermostat from anywhere with your phone.
These pro suggestions will all help keep summer energy costs down. If you figure out it’s time to modernize your thermostat or need AC installation, give our team a call at 804-548-4480 or contact us online. We’ll help you figure out the right solution for your space. And like always, all our services are backed by a 100% satisfaction guarantee.*
*Not applicable to the Advantage Program™. See your signed Advantage Program agreement for full details and exclusions. 100% Satisfaction Guarantee is subject to certain restrictions and limitations as set forth in the applicable Terms and Conditions.