Winter months in Richmond are upon us. In fact, the months of October through February have a history of carbon monoxide safety concerns with 68 percent of carbon monoxide related deaths caused by home appliances occurring throughout those months. To understand the safety of your home, schedule an annual furnace service now, before the cold of winter is upon us.
According to a new survey from Service Experts Heating and Air Conditioning, 94 percent of homeowners recognize that their furnace can give off deadly carbon monoxide gas, but over half don't do anything to stop it from occurring.
“Carbon monoxide is a colorless odorless gas that can be very harmful,” says Dr. Lance Broy. “Initial symptoms can be confused for the flu – you can have nausea and fatigue but actually can progress and cause organ damage or even death.”
Any appliance in your home that uses fuels like gas, oil, or wood – such as furnaces, water heaters, fireplaces or clothes dryers – has the chance to discharge carbon monoxide if the system is not running properly or if it wasn’t installed appropriately.
Your annual furnace service company can help uncover any potential concerns. When you have furnace service completed, your technician should:
- Make sure that your furnace isn’t emitting carbon monoxide
- Look for any other out-of-place things that may compromise your safety
- Help you uncover any additional areas where you may want to think about adding a carbon monoxide detector
- Tune-up your system so that you know your equipment is running at its peak efficiency, helping give you peace-of-mind that you’re in a good spot to potentially save money this winter
It’s important to keep in mind that many furnace manufacturers could require annual furnace service to keep your system under their warranty. That’s where the experts at Eveready Service Experts can help. We’re here to help you have not only a comfortable home, but more importantly, a safe one. Give us a call at 804-548-4480 or set up an appointment with us online to learn more about carbon monoxide safety as we head in to the winter months.