When severe weather comes our way, whether it’s forecasted or not, it can have a lot of repercussions. Staying safe and protecting your home are your greatest priorities, but did you know there are steps you can take to prep your air conditioner so that when the storm finishes, your AC repair technician will give you the all-clear?
Taking even a few moments to think about your heating and cooling systems before the storm strikes can help you avoid damage to your system when it’s all said and done. Then, when you schedule for an AC repair expert to check your system post-storm, they can probably provide you with good news that your preparations were worth the time.
At Eveready Service Experts , we realize that there’s only so much prep work you can do to get ready for bad weather, and time may not give you much notification, so we’ve put together a list of what you can do before and after a severe weather event happens.
- Turn off your heating and cooling equipment. Power surges are commonplace during severe weather, so be sure to turn off your system via your thermostat and your circuit breaker to know for sure it is fully off.
- Cover the outdoor unit. Whether it’s a specific AC cover or simply a tarp, covering your system and securing the cover can keep away any debris that gets tossed around during threatening weather. Just be sure you have turned the system fully off in advance of covering it with anything.
- Prep your yard. Make sure all loose outdoor items such as grills, patio furniture and any yard tools are put away in a protected place so that they don’t get thrown around during the storm.
- Clear the debris. Once it is safe to head outside, make sure any debris is cleared away from your outdoor unit.
- Damaged? If you see any damage to your system or if it is sitting in standing water, call Eveready Service Experts prior to turning on your air conditioner. We can properly inspect your system and figure out whether or not an AC repair is needed.
Of course we all hope that severe weather doesn’t hit us in Richmond, but we have to be ready if we want the best chance to avoid any major damage or other concerns that can come with it. If you have any questions about how to best prepare for bad weather in Richmond or want to know what our AC repair service consists of after the storm has come and gone, give us a call at 804-548-4480 or schedule an appointment with Eveready Service Experts through our online scheduler.